Monday, May 20, 2013

The 2013 season has begun...

Hello dear folk art lovers, I hope that you have  had a healthy, joyful and adventure filled year.
Over the last couple of months I have had a chance to visit with many of the folk artists whose work I carry and I am happy to report that  everyone seems to have "wintered" well and is looking forward to a successful summer season.
Among the pieces that I  was able to purchase from Bradford Naugler is a   beautiful piece of a women with long black hair ,holding a cat and  sitting on a bright red chair. Somehow  Bradford managed to carve the women and chair out of one piece of wood.   Then I picked up an unusual piece from Peter Rafuse.  It is a piece called "popeye" and is entirely made of pieces of wood with large burls on it.  The burls look like groups of muscles - hence the title. 
I also have a number of pieces for sale which were assigned to me  my by a folk art collector of long standing.  Mostly they are pieces by artists no longer exhibiting at the NS Folk Art Festival.
I have photographs taken of many of the new pieces in the gallery  and I am waiting to receive them from the photographer to download  on to  my website.  Hopefully that will happen within the next couple of  weeks. 
In the mean time, I can talk a little about the pieces that are for sale.   There are four Eddie Mandaggio pieces.  One is a large, elegant, silver fish.  Another is a family of nicely painted ducks.  The Mommy duck has had some neck surgery but she has healed well.  The three little goslings that sit around her  are nicely painted and the entire family  looks very endearing.  Also by Eddie I have for sale two handsome robins.  One of them has a little feather in its mouth ready for nest building.  These robins can be sold separately. 
Another artist is Garnet McPhail who used to live near Wolfville and was a mentor to Peter Rafuse. Garnet taught Peter how to carve and while there is not a similarity between their work, I think that it is fair to say that both artists work/ed in a primitive style.  One of the Garnet pieces is a curvaceous white chicken.  Another is a large duck.  This piece is not dated. It probably was carved in the l990s. Underneath the duck the wood is cracked but as you know, cracks in wooden pieces of folk art do not detract from the pleasure of owning the piece. 
There is a Thomas Rector duck of about the same era.  I think that it is a Mallard duck - but I imagine when I get these images up on the site, someone will email me and correct me if I have mistaken my ducks.
Clarence Aulenback, whom I saw  recently is still working on occasion.  He  is   a wonderful story teller and Audrey his gentle wife is an avid listener. The Aulenback duck that is for sale does not show well in a photograph because it is essentially painted brown. However, the markings in green, maroon and blue are quite exquisite.  Clarence has a wonderful way of applying paint - his conceptualization of design is quite different to any other past or present folk  artist.
Last, there is Bradford's  beautiful tall, upright and  lean black bear with (nail) claws on his front and rear paws.
So my friends, I am now open for the season.  I am looking forward to saying hello to many of you over the next few months.  For the first time in many years Janet will not be working with me.  She has decided to take the summer off and I will be sharing my Spotted Frog time with Hilary who will also enjoy meeting you.  I will chat again soon - enjoy your gardens, beach walks, picnics or wherever else your energy takes you  and above all enjoy  the ones you love.  Inge 

No comments:

Post a Comment